Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Let the Great Experiment Begin! Part II

"Ontama-gokko" to create the wonder eggs!

My attempts to create the perfect "hot spring eggs" continue. The last experiment ended up in a failure because the egg white and the egg yolk were too runny. I changed a few variables this time; the temperature of the eggs and the hot water. The eggs were brought to the room temperature, and the water was completely boiled before pouring into the device. I left the eggs in it for exactly 20 minutes.

Egg white is holding a better shape than the 1st experiment

Acceptable firmness as a hot spring egg 
Egg yolk is holding a good shape but seems a tad too firm


Review and analysis:
The egg white came out just as I wanted; soft enough but not raw and runny, you can cut the white with a spoon. (Grade: A)

The egg yolk was a lot better than the first time I tried. Very close to perfection. You can tell from the pictures that it is holding a shape. The texture is very rich and creamy, and the color is almost bright orange. However, it is a bit too firm for my taste. I do not want it to be runny, but I want it to be slightly less coagulated than this one. (Grade: B)
bcircled.jpg 8.4K
Final grade

For the next experiment, I will shorten the soaking time to 19 minutes from 20 minutes. The water temperature appeared to be correct, judging from the firmness of the egg white. The fact that the eggs were at the room temperature seems to have contributed to the very positive outcome.

Stay tuned for the conclusion of "Let The Great Experiment Begin! Part III."

Click if you like this post

No comments:

Post a Comment