Monday, May 28, 2012

Let the Great Experiment Begin! Part I

Ontama-gokko and two eggs


I asked my sister to bring back from Japan a gadget to create "hot spring eggs." This thing is called "Ontama-gokko," and you can see on it the illustration of an egg taking a hot spring bath. It has three layers of insulation, to maintain the same temperature to make the rare egg-creation where the egg yolk is slightly firmer than the egg white. (It is not the same as a soft boiled egg.)

Egg is taking a hot bath

The instructions said to place the eggs in the egg holder and pour in hot water and wait for 18-20 minutes. The beauty of it is that I don't have to worry about keeping the water temperature the same all the time, which is crucial to the making of the hot spring eggs. Just set the timer and go about your day for the next 20 minutes!


Pour in hot water to cover the eggs


The first time I did it, I immersed the eggs in hot water for 20 minutes. But the yolk came out too soft. They needed to be in the hot bath a little longer. The egg white was soft, although, I would prefer it to be less runny. This indicates that the eggs could stand to have warmer water when they are being submerged.

I want the white to be less runny

I tried 25 minutes the second time. Given the fact that the eggs just came out of the fridge, the cold eggs probably brought down the temperature of the hot water. Also, it might require longer soaking time for the egg yolk to harden a bit more. After 25 minutes, they were still too runny. My first experiment did not result in the proper hot spring eggs. 
fcircled.jpg 5.8K
Final grade


Are you gonna eat that?

The only thing I can think of at this point is that the eggs need to be perhaps brought to the room temp for the next experiment, and I will also use the boiling  water instead of the water that is just about to boil. 

I'll be back with "Let The Great Experiment Begin! Part II." My attempts to create the perfect hot spring eggs will continue.


Click if you like this post

No comments:

Post a Comment