Friday, September 21, 2012

Warm Natto Udon Noodles with Poached Egg

Only takes a few minutes to prepare
I opened up the fridge this morning, and I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat. I didn't want the leftover, and I didn't want to heat up the frozen biscuits. If I cook rice, I have to wait for 20 minutes. Hmm. Why don't I cook up frozen udon noodles, which only takes one minute? I came up with some interesting toppings.

Creamy egg yolk coats the warm noodles
Garlic chili oil gives a nice kick


Warm Natto Udon Noodles With Poached Egg

1 package, frozen udon noodles
1 package, natto
1 egg
1 tsp, garlic chili oil
1/3 cup, noodle dipping sauce
Green onions for garnish

Cook frozen noodles in boiling water. Scoop up the cooked noodles with tongs out of the hot water into the bowl. Crack an egg gently into the simmering water that you just cooked the noodles in and continue cooking until slightly firm, about 2 minutes. Pick up the egg with a slotted spoon and place it on top of the noodles. Add natto, green onions and garlic chili oil. Pour in noodle dipping sauce. I think this dish tastes better when the noodles are still warm. The dipping sauce can be cold but the contrast in temperatures makes it so yummy.

Check out this post for another udon noodle recipe.



Click if you like this post




2 comments:

  1. Wait, is that egg like the Onsen Tamago from a few months ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not like the Onsen Tamago but it is a poached egg...runny egg yolk and firm white. Onsen tamago would be great on this, too!

    ReplyDelete