Friday, August 16, 2013

Hot Spring Egg in Microwave?

I was browsing the web and read an article on how to make a hot spring egg in microwave. What? You can't, can you? Really? I had to try it myself and find out.

Hot spring egg made in microwave
The yolk came out just right. The white could be a bit harder for my taste.


Hot Spring Egg in Microwave

1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp noodle dipping sauce
Wasabi paste

In a small ramekin, crack an egg. Add water. Cover it with a plastic wrap. Microwave it (600W) for 40 seconds. Reheat for another 10 seconds. Reheat again for another 10 seconds. Keep adding 10 seconds until desired doneness. I microwaved mine for a total of 60 seconds. Take a big spoon and carefully drain the water by tipping the ramekin. Make sure to discard as much water at this point if you don't want a watery hot spring egg!

Don't forget to add water.
Waiting....
After 40 seconds. Try another 10 seconds.

Let me tell you. It worked! It tasted just like the hot spring eggs I made in Ontama-gokko, which is a set-it-and-forget-it device I use, and it takes 20 minutes to make. I can make them now in about a minute. Love it! 
Ontama-gokko 
Hot spring egg made in Ontama-gokko. Perfect in every way.

The microwave version is not as pretty as the one made in Ontama-gokko. The egg white is not contained in a small egg shell, so it tends to spread out more. But the consistency is just about right. If I have the patience to wait for 20 minutes, I would still use Ontama-gokko, otherwise, I'd go with the microwave.



Eggs graphics



Click if you like this post


No comments:

Post a Comment