Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sautéed Broccoli with Black Olives

A friend of mine made this dish long time ago for me, and I remember being so inspired by it then. So when I went back to Japan, I made this same dish for my family, and they loved it, too. The aroma of olive oil is really important in this dish, so use a good bottle of olive oil. One time, I made it with the olive oil infused with black truffles, the kind you can see the bits of truffles in the oil, and it was heavenly! I personally like regular black olives for this dish, but I used kalamata olives this time. If you've never been a big fan of broccoli, this might just change your mind. 

Red chili peppers will give you a little extra umph!

Sautéed Broccoli With Black Olives

1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp black olive, chopped
Sprinkle of red chili peppers
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt, adjust to taste

Blanch broccoli al dente in boiling water, for about two minutes. Slowly sauté garlic, black olives and chili peppers in olive oil over medium low heat. When the oil gets fragrant, add broccoli and salt to the pan. Toss to coat. Adjust the amount of salt depending on how salty the olives are. Kalamata olives are usually saltier than the regular black olives that come in a can. I like this dish on the saltier side. Splash lemon juice and serve warm.

Click if you like this post

No comments:

Post a Comment