Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mackerel Pike Cooked in Pressure Cooker

Here's another dish I made with my brand new pressure cooker. My mother made this when we went home to Japan this year, and now it's become part of my repertoire. Ahhh, a taste of home!

I added frozen green beans at the last minute.
Garnish it with scallions.

Mackerel Pike Cooked in Pressure Cooker 

4 pieces mackerel pike, cut 3 inches long
1 cup water
1 cup sake
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp ginger, julienned
2 pickled plum, optional but helps to rid of fishy-ness.

Mackerel pike is in season now.
Set it and forget it!
My new toy.

Cut fish into pieces 3 inches long with bones in. Rinse them under running water. Combine all the ingredients in pressure cooker and turn the heat to high. Once it starts whistling, reduce the heat to med-low so the pressure regulator starts rocking slowly. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, release the pressure from the regulator and open the lid.You could turn the heat back on and reduce the sauce. If you want to add frozen green beans, this would be the time to do it.

You can eat bones and all. Calcium anyone?

These taste good cold, too. I keep them in the fridge and snack on them.




Fishmonger job graphics


Click if you like this post


No comments:

Post a Comment