Thursday, November 21, 2013

Boiled Chestnuts

I think boiling is my favorite way of preparing chestnuts. My mother always makes them this way. I like how boiling adds just the right amount of moisture to the chestnuts. You scoop them out of the shells with a serrated spoon and eat them. 



Boiled Chestnuts

2 cups chestnuts
3-4 cups water

Soak chestnuts in water over night. Drain. In a pot, add chestnuts and water just enough to cover them, about 3-4 cups. Turn on the heat to high. Once it starts boiling, turn down the heat to med and keep cooking for 40-50 minutes or so. 

I tried my second batch with a pressure cooker for 20 minutes, and they came out fine. Start it with high heat then turn it down to med-high for about 20 minutes, and let the pressure go down on its own. I even let them sit in the cooking water for a little while. Drain and cut them in half with a knife. Serve them with a serrated spoon.

I cooked them without soaking once, and they turned out ok.
You can omit this process if you're in a hurry.
Sometimes it takes longer to cook. Test one and see if you like it.
Cut them in half with a knife.
Scoop them out with a serrated spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment