Monday, June 25, 2012

SPAM Musubi

Surprisingly yummy
To keep my Hawaiian theme, I made some SPAM musubi. I don't usually get the craving for this here, but when I go to Hawaii, somehow, I have to have it. I have been wanting to make SPAM musubi for weeks, but I was a little bit scared of dealing with that mysterious meat. In fact, when I got the meat out of the container, I just held it in my hand for a few seconds and froze. I didn't know if I wanted to continue. Once I started cooking, I felt better, though.

Why so pink? Sooo mysterious.

SPAM Musubi

1 can SPAM
1 1/2 cup medium grain rice
1/3 cup rice vinegar, optional
2 sheets nori
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp mirin
1 Tbsp sake
11x9 casserole dish

Cook rice and mix well with rice vinegar. Set aside to cool it down a bit. Lay the seasoned rice flat on the casserole dish and pack it down pretty tightly.
I used a wet silicone spatula to pack it down
Slice SPAM into 8 pieces. Fry them in the dry frying pan till brown and slightly crispy. SPAM has enough fat in it, you don't need extra oil to sauté it. Add soy sauce, sugar, mirin and sake in a bowl and mix well. Add to the frying pan and coat them with the sauce well until almost all the liquid is gone. 
Flip them over often
Lay SPAM pieces on top of the rice in the casserole dish. With a spatula, cut the rice with SPAM into eight pieces.

Using CLEAN hands, shape them into nice clean blocks of rice. With a pair of cooking scissors, cut a sheet of rori into four long strips. Wrap individual pieces with a strip of nori.


Click if you like this post

No comments:

Post a Comment