Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hoto

I may be coming down with a cold. My throat is scratchy and I had a bit of body aches yesterday. When I am under the weather, my usual go-to food is a cup of chicken soup. But this time, I'm making Hoto, udon noodles and vegetables in warm miso-based broth. I've seen Hoto with a piece of Mochi in it, too. Let's see what I can come up with.

You see a piece of Mochi on top.

Hoto

2 packages frozen udon noodles
5 cups water
2 eggs
2 Tbsp miso paste
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2-3 cups whatever the vegetables you can find, I used carrots, snow peas, nappa cabbage, green onions and shiitake mushroom
2 pieces mochi, sticky rice cake, optional
1/4 cup agedama, tempura crumbs
Japanese chili pepper

Frozen udon noodles
Agedama, tempura crumbs
The more vegetables, the better!

In a big pot, add water and vegetables and cook. Add udon and cook. Dissolve miso paste in the soup and soy sauce to taste. Crack eggs and drop gently in the soup to poach them. Add mochi and continue cooking in the soup until soft. Toss in agedama, tempura crumbs, to add a depth of flavor to the soup. Sprinkle Japanese chili pepper before serving.


A poached egg was made right in the soup.

A big bowl of Hoto is nutritious and comforting; just what I need to ride out my cold.


Click if you like this post


2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Hope you will get well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am already feeling better! This soup really worked!

      Delete