Thursday, January 10, 2013

Crock-Pot Sweet Black Soy Beans Revisited

So my first attempt to make the sweet black soy beans ended with a so-so result. After cooking for hours, the beans were still a little harder than I'd hoped. I did some research after that to somehow revive the beans and make them softer, just how I remember eating them in Japan. And I did find a good way to make them right. Here is how.
Turned out great this time. What a save!

The sugar content of the cooking liquid hardens the beans. It has to do with osmotic pressure, I've come to learn. If your beans were cooked harder than you'd like, do the following.

  1. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
  2. Rinse the beans gently with water.
  3. Cook the beans in just plain water. Bring it to a boil first, and turn the heat to medium low. About 30 minutes or until they are soft enough. Drain.
  4. Cook the beans in reserved liquid. About 15-20 minutes.
  5. Serve at room temperature.
Drain the beans and reserve the liquid.
Cook the beans in water. Drain.
Cook the beans again this time in reserved liquid.

My beans turned softer after this process. If your black soy beans seemed too tough after cooking, don't be dismayed. It's not too late. You might still be able to have delicious black soy beans!

Good luck!

  • Check out my attempt to make Crock-Pot sweet black soy beans here.



2 comments: