Monday, May 7, 2012

Shrimp Étouffée

One of my favorites from the low country cooking. I used to live in Savannah, and the low country cooking was everywhere there, but the very first time I had this dish was at my friends Jim and Laura's home in Florida. Depending on how I feel, I can make it Cajun or creole. This time, it is more creole than Cajun. Either way, it is wonderfully delicious.

Creole shrimp étouffée with wild rice

Shrimp Étouffée

1 lb shrimp
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 stalk celery diced
1 piece garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
A couple dashes of worcester sauce
2 Tbsp sherry or dry vermouth
1 tsp Old Bay
Salt and pepper

Sauté diced vegetables in the olive oil butter mixture. Salt and pepper the vegetable and add thyme and stir till fragrant. Add flour to coat the vegetables. Cook the vegetables until slightly brown. Add sherry and chicken broth and stir as it thickens. Toss in a bay leaf, worcester sauce and Old Bay. Add shrimp. Salt and pepper to taste.

It is usually served with white rice, but whatever you have would work. I cooked some basmati rice with wild rice. I like the crunchy texture of the wild rice.


Click if you like this post


1 comment:

  1. Made for great lunch today; it went well with the kale & bacon dish, too.

    ReplyDelete