Friday, March 2, 2012

Homesick Buster

When I get homesick, there is nothing like playing this silly game to get my mind off. It's a simple game of eliminating the numbers and the UFOs that keep appearing from the right and moving to the left of the display. I used to play this with an actual calculator on the way home from my high school. I remember I got quite good at this game. It's too bad that they no longer sell these in Japan. But when I found that it was available in the iTunes store for 99 cents by the name of the Digit Invader, I was elated! I think there are a few versions of this game available online now.

All my friends had a Casio calculator. It was cool to have this back then

This game is addictive. When you take down the numbers that would add to 10, you get a UFO. So you want to keep shooting them down like, 1 and 9, 2 and 8, 3 and 7, and so on and so forth. When you get good enough, you would be able to wait long enough for a specific digit to appear and shoot that in order to get a UFO. But you don't want to wait too long, because once the other digits reach the left of the screen, you are dead. The game was created by Casio way before today's fancy video games. I just love the simplicity.

I felt like such a grown-up when I played it as a child

By the way, my very first video game I played was the Pong. I love that game, too. I first played it at the Princess Kaiulani Hotel in Waikiki, HI. I was probably about 8 years old. I had never seen a video game before, and I was so thrilled I kept asking my mother for a quarter. I remember those days very fondly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment