Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Shirataki Yakisoba

Garnished with pickled sushi ginger and toasted sesame seeds

This dish is surprisingly good. Shirataki can make a great substitute for the egg noodles. I really don't miss the egg noodles when I prepare it this way. Shirataki is almost entirely made of fiber and has almost no calories. It has an effect of detoxing and lowering the cholesterol level, too. I don't think I can replace all the pasta dishes with this, but I can keep eating this yakisoba, no problem.


I don't miss the egg noodles 

Add anything else you like


Shirataki Yakisoba

1 package  shirataki noodles
1 package tofu or any meat you like
1/3 cabbage
1 onion
A few slices of fresh ginger
Safflower oil for sautéing
1 Tbsp Okonomi sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Black pepper
Lots of white pepper 
Pickled sushi ginger
Sesame seeds


Rinse the shirataki noodles in cold water and cut them up with scissors into shorter pieces. They can be quite long without cutting. Cook them in boiling water for 2 minutes to rid of the smell that they sometimes have. Drain the noodles. Heat the frying pan and sauté them without oil for 3 minutes. Add oil and a few pieces of ginger as well as tofu to the pan and sauté for another minute. Add vegetables and lightly brown and season them with salt and pepper. Put a lot of white pepper which goes very well with the dish. Add the Okonomi sauce and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and stir. If you don't have the Okonomi sauce, you can add some sugar or mirin to add some sweetness. Garnish with the pickled ginger and the toasted sesame seeds. 

3 comments:

  1. I will testify to the deliciousness of this dish, as I just devoured a helping of it for my lunch @ work!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And tell me, did you even notice you are not eating the real egg noodles?

      Delete
  2. No! I wouldn't have noticed probably if I hadn't already known!

    ReplyDelete