Sunday, March 18, 2012

Banana Coconut Bread Pudding

I was inspired by the Vietnamese banana pudding with coconut milk, Banh Chuoi Nuong. The combination of banana and coconut milk is one of my favorites. I am so glad I finally made it. I added a dash of rum to spike it up. It would make a great brunch to replace your French toast or a dessert to go with a cup of tea. You can serve it room temp or cold or warm with a scoop of ice cream. I used Stevia to cut down some calories. And it is so easy to make!

Pudding is soaked with coconut milk and rum
Banana turns purple after baking for a while

 Banana Coconut Bread Pudding

(for 11x9 casserole dish)
6-7 bananas sliced diagonally 
6-7 slices white bread
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup Stevia 
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp rum
Brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Butter the casserole dish 
Sprinkle brown sugar on the bottom of the casserole dish
Lay banana slices on the bottom
Mix coconut milk, Stevia and rum and warm up slightly
Cut bread into smaller squares and soak lightly with coconut milk mixture and lay them on top of the first banana layer
Put another layer of bananas and another layer of bread
Put the last layer of bananas so you can see the bananas as top layer
Top it off with brown sugar
Bake for 60 minutes covered, and broil for another 5 minutes uncovered to caramelize the sugar on top
Cool it and serve


Thanks to my hubby for this beautiful hydrangea


Click if you like this post

2 comments:

  1. So... goood! We're going to do this with the rice-bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the rice bread would work great. I am contemplating on getting a bottle of coconut syrup so I can pour it over this pudding. Does that sound great or what?

    ReplyDelete